Sunday, May 3, 2009

Words and Expressions

On the news:
The soap-opera enthralled the country, with Italians sounding off on whether they agreed with Veronica -- and whether they thought Berlusconi, 70, would submit to his wife, 20 years his junior.

Well, instead of saying "He is three years younger than me." now you should say "My brother is my junior by three years. / My brother is three years my junior." to liven your writing.

"Here I am, saying I'm sorry. I was recalcitrant in private, because I am playful but proud too. Challenged in public, the temptation to give in to you is strong. I can't resist," said Berlusconi.

recalcitrant
adjective FORMAL
(of a person) unwilling to obey orders or to do what should be done, or (of an animal) refusing to be controlled.

This word is originated from Late Latin, and would be very cool to insert it into your future piece. But remember, don't induge in "big words" as simpe words really have the job done most of the times...even better than the biggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment