Wednesday, July 21, 2010

When Two Become One

The fact is there are two people in the house, but it seems each of them has nothing to do with the other, or to say the least, is being entirely apart from the other. The girl is being occupied by a Taiwan soap opera, while the boy is busy with nothing. The boy now understands why the girl complains him when he is engrossed in reading English books, watching game videos or surfing IT websites. The same mentality is in effect. This moment, to me, is monumental no matter how you slice it. Now I understand the deeper implication of the word "interest." When you are interested in something, the something will take the place of anyone or anything you care. You act like you are blind to other people. You become ignorant, unaware and unconscious. You do nothing but to stare at what you are interested. This happens on both male or female, kid or adult. No human being can escape the magic of interest without being hurt, or hurting others. Yes, I'm sorta irritated now. She must have felt the same way in the past. Yes, that must have been the case. But I do have a puzzle twirling in my head. She knew 100% this could hurt. She definitely knew it as she had explained in plain language to me that this kind of act would put a negative effect on people around me. But even someone who knows the danger inside out is now being converted into a state that lets me feel shuddering, and even devastating. Ironically, somehow, an old saying pops up into my fragile head - do as you would be done by others. We are used to point to others with no hesitation when something bad happens. We don't like to think in other people's shoes. Our self-interest is dominant and insuperable in most of the cases.

I believe, sincerely, that everyone has self-interest, to a certain extent. I myself have. And now the problem is tricky - how can we balance our self-interest so we don't hurt people around? Are we too young to deal with this? Are we too young to talk about self-interest? Even though we know self-interest hurts but still we have no viable way to solve it in a decent approach.

I asked myself why I was irritated but it remained unanswered. I treated people the same way many times before and was still being influenced by this unshakable mentality.

Is there no way out? Hope the answer is no.

What is our weapon to self-interest? This is a question that should be answered at the earliest stage of our lives.

Posted via email from Dennis & Zoe

No comments:

Post a Comment