Saturday, February 28, 2009

Alien Raiders/恐怖异形入侵 (2008)


This flick reminds me of another HK-filmed movie, Bio Zombie, which concentrate all the scenarios in a supermall.

The term I see repeated most for Alien Raiders is "low-budget", whether it be "good for a low-budget film" or "this low-budget film sucks".

I have doubts that if not for the absence of celebrities that anyone would really be able to tell this is a low-budget picture. The alien effects are really the only shaky aspect, and even those were pretty respectable. Otherwise this is a well-filmed, well-acted, and well-written movie.

The story is original in that it's told from a different perspective than most similar sci-fi movies -- that of the bystander, rather than of the protagonist.

Usually, if you tell me I'm about to watch a movie about aliens, I expect to first see the humans who make first contact, the scientists who verify the aliens' existence, and then the people who pick up guns and save the world.

This movie, however, drops the audience in the middle of an alien story that's basically already in progress. We start in a grocery store and see things from the viewpoint of a spectator caught in the middle of a story they aren't privy to.

My conclusion is as simple as that -- both Bio Zombie and Alien Raiders are worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment