Monday, January 19, 2009

Why I Write

Greetings and salutations. Here is Dennis again. Last time my piece "Who The Hell is Dennis" resonated so much among audience who wanted to get a deeper peep into my personal life. Well, if I may say so, everyone is a peeper in some point of his/her life. Am I right?

I'm a lifetime "Guangzhouese", born in Guangzhou, raised in Guangzhou, educated in Guangzhou and currently worked for an IT company in Guangzhou.

Ironically enough, I did get lost even in my native city. I think my distorted sense of direction was born, but Zoe later rebutted this concept and said it was trained.

Ok, let's cut all the blah blah blah and back to the point.

My passion has always been for the written words, though I do enjoy the spoken and vocal versions from time to time. My disinterest in spoken and vocal versions doesn't translate to a weakness in my oral expression. By contrary, oral language is something that I'm really good at.

Writing has been a headache for many people, but that's clearly not my case. I had somehow developed a sense of writing during my toughest time in life, when I wanted to record down every bit of my life, sweet or bitter, on paper for a later share or recollection.

My initial thought on writing was that it was a way to help out my memory. My little brain was not able to store all my past so I got to get help from diary, which later crept online and got a new moniker -- blog, to scribble down the funnies as well as the saddest things occurred to me.

This strategy worked well.

It turned out that all the time spent in writing was well bestowed. I started to distinguish myself from others by being able to write fluently and readily.

There is only one message I would like to send here at the end of my piece -- writing is not gifted.

If you want to write well, start writing today, period. It may take years of endless writing before you can achieve something, however, you would not even get that something if you stay put and dream about an overnight change on your writing skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment