Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Crammed Christmas Eve

People are absolutely overreacting to a western festival -- Christmas. I was on board a Christmas Eve tube yesterday night to have a first-hand experience of this US-imported festival. To say that I was like in a crammed sardine can was an outright understatement. A few bouts of savage elbow fighting finally ensured me a place in the compartment. Everyone on board was dressed to the nines, seemed heading for an important audition. The scenario was tantamount to Chinese new year. I couldn't help asking myself how and when Christmas started to invade into China in the first place? Is China being assimilated subconsciously by western powerhouses? Should we be conscious and aware of this ongoing "harmless" assimilation? Whatever the answer, it is a trend.

I myself is not a fan of Christmas and have no intention to embrace it in the imminent future. But I'm not totally against it or deny its widespread penetration. Maybe the lacking of a western culture background was why I couldn't melt myself in this widely-enjoyed festival. The only way out? Live it or leave it!

No comments:

Post a Comment